Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Can't Wait to See This Movie!!!

I had heard before about the Broadway musical "Mamma Mia," and I knew it was written using songs from the band ABBA, but I never really had a lot of interest in it until I saw the preview for the movie...now I am absolutely dying to see it! I love Meryl Streep and I can't wait to see her in a musical...what can't this woman do!? And its got Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth too...the former James Bond and Mr. Darcy, in a musical? I'm so there! I'm planning on going to see it as soon as possible with my mom...no boys allowed!

I love how over the last several years the movie musical has been reborn. Musicals used to be the big thing in movies! A lot of them were even Oscar winners..."West Side Story," "My Fair Lady," and "Sound of Music" all received the Academy Award for Best Picture. And who doesn't love those movies? Or "Singin' in the Rain," "The Wizard of Oz," "Grease," and all the classic Disney animated musicals? So, I'm glad it finally occurred to Hollywood that this genre of movie can still have a huge audience! Several of my favorite films are newer musicals...I could watch "Moulin Rouge," "Phantom of the Opera," and "Hairspray" over and over again...and I have! I still need to see "Across the Universe," which was written using songs from the Beatles.

I love stage plays, and there will always be something unique and magical and amazing about watching actors perform a musical live. But movies can take a musical and give it a huge new scope and range. "Mamma Mia" was filmed on location in the Greek Isles...you can't get those on a stage!

And I'm always amazed by the film stars they manage to cast in today's musical films...one of my favorites is Christopher Walken in "Hairspray." Who would have imagined the weird, creepy Christopher Walken singing in a feel-good musical? He was hilarious and fabulous!

I read an interesting article Time magazine did last year about the modern movie musical phenomenon...check it out by clicking here. Meanwhile, I'm sure I'll soon be adding "Mamma Mia!" to my list of favorite films!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I'm going to have to go see this too. I've heard its great!