Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Name Game

Today I was thinking about baby names and I asked Thomas, "Should we name your baby brother *Name*?" At first he said "Yeah!" and then I said, "Say *Name*!" and the way he said it was so cute! The name I asked him about has a common nickname, so I said to him, "Can you say *Nickname*? Sometimes you can say *Nickname* instead of *Name*, just like we say Tommy instead of Thomas!" And then Thomas said, "No, wanna name him Tommy & Jerry!" I laughed because I knew where that came from...he's been watching Tom & Jerry cartoons lately. (Hooray for old school cartoons...most of the modern ones drive me up the wall!) Even though Jerry is not a name I would actually consider, I thought his suggestion was so cute!

And yes, as you can tell, I'm hesitant to share the names we're considering. Its not that they're weird or anything...I just remember when I was pregnant with Thomas I was pretty careful not to share our names with people, but a few times I let my guard down and would tell someone what we were considering, and they said something critical or mean! So now I'm even more gun-shy to tell anybody this time around. Its already hard enough to pick a name for a child...something so important that they will carry with them their entire life...without someone bashing the one or two good ideas you manage to come up with!

5 comments:

Kotters said...

I say it doesn't matter what you pick it is your choice. Who cares what anyone else thinks!!! You will come up with the perfect name for your baby. Just like Thomas is perfect for him. It is getting so close. I can't wait to find out what his name will be!!!

kathy said...

I feel the same way about names! We're starting to narrow down what to name our little boy, but I've been reluctant to tell a lot of people because I don't want to hear it if they don't like it. :) I'm sure you'll pick a great name. That's so true that Thomas's name totally suits him.

catherine said...

I don't really like to share names, either, but James does. Although at this point there's not much to share...we *still* can't agree on one single boy name! I think we've pretty much narrowed down our girl name but we are still grasping for a boy's name.

On a related note, I had a dream about you last night. And, strangely enough, in it you told me your name choice! It was Andrew. Which is a cute name, so if my dream is a prediction, I approve ;) (not that it matters whether I approve or not!)

Gertsch Family said...

I feel the same way. Picking a name that you and your hubby agree with is hard enough! How are you feeling? I'm about eight weeks behind you! Our babies are going to be close:)By the way it's a girl! Yay

Karen said...

Pick the name you want, it's your choice, and if people don't like it, tough! You will come up with a great name. Good luck! Can't wait to hear what it will be! =)