Thursday, January 10, 2008

Back to BYU


I have been a college student forEVER...I graduated high school in 2000 and started at BYU in August of that year. I got married in December of 2001 and took a semester off while we were engaged, intending to go back in January. Well, that break turned into a year and a half! I re-applied to BYU and was accepted, and over the years I've continued to attend off and on...full-time a few semesters, but mostly just part-time over the past few years, taking semesters off here and there. When I worked full time I continually took classes at night to keep up my student status and work slowly toward filling my generals. Since becoming a mom I've become a bit more lazy, deferring semesters or taking only one class a semester. But all this time, I've managed to hang on as a student. I just can't seem to let go of the opportunity to be a BYU student and work toward getting a degree someday. I'm not that close...I've only got 70 credits of the required 120...but I'm determined to finish! Many people (including myself!) think its crazy that I've been a student so long, and that I continue to hang onto the idea of graduating when its still so far off. But getting my degree is very important to me. I don't do it to impress anyone or because I hope to have a career someday. I do it to finish what I started, to be continually learning and bettering myself, and to teach my children the importance of education. I deferred last semester, which means I have to take an on-campus class this semester or lose my student status. Last week, before the semester started, I realized I had to make the decision about whether to take a class or not. I was feeling very stressed about finding a class that met in the evening, which would go toward my major (English, which requires a certain number of on-campus credits), and that would also work out for Ryan to get home in time to be with Thomas. I almost decided to just give up and just take independent study classes. But once I started looking into it and found a few classes that would work, I started to feel inspired again. I know that I would be very disappointed in myself if I gave up on school now. I have tried so hard for so long, it would be a shame to just up and quit. And it is something that makes me feel good about myself! I found a creative writing class, which I will be starting tonight, and I'm really excited about it. I went to campus to buy the books today, and I remembered why I love college so much. Even though I dislike homework just as much as anyone else, I love finding a good professor, listening to a good lecture, talking about literature, history, religion or whatever, and being around so many intelligent, talented people. And most of all, I just love Brigham Young University. Something about that campus just makes me feel more alive! Its a beautiful place. Being there makes me want to be a better person. To walk around and hear people speaking in other languages, seeing all the clubs and groups advertising their concerts or dances or meetings, and just watching all the activity makes me feel happy, alive, inspired to contribute something to the world! In my experience as a "non-traditional" student, I feel I have come to appreciate the value of a college education incredibly. Taking classes feels like a privilege. Even though I know there will be times this semester when I'm stressed because I'm behind on reading or working on a difficult project, I never wish to stop being a student...even when I graduate someday (and I WILL!!! Whether I'm 30 or 50!). I love being a student! Whether its in the classrooms of Brigham Young University or just wherever I am and whatever I'm doing out in the world, I always want to find opportunities to learn from others, hone my talents and discover new ones. Having to try so hard to get a college education has taught me so much more than just what I've learned in any class. It has taught me that I have a responsibility to work to become all that Heavenly Father knows I can be, to seek the blessings of knowledge and wisdom, and to pass those blessings on to my children. I hope I can share with Thomas and all of my future children the love of learning, and help them to seek out their talents and share them with the world!

9 comments:

DaNae said...

Good for you Darci! I actually miss being a student every now and then, so take advantage of it!!

Heather and Trevor said...

I miss it too in a way! You go girl! GO COUGARS! :)

Brooke said...

I think it is very couragous and smart of you to keep working towards your degree. There are so many people who just give up and then regret it later. Good Luck! I miss BYU sometimes also...

Emily said...

Darci--I'm proud of you! School is not an easy thing to begin with, but I can't even imagine the challenge of trying to do it with a toddler. But, you are an incredibly strong, resourceful woman, and I'm so impressed with your drive and determination! Good for you! The most important component of reaching a goal is to never quit...regardless of how long it takes! If it's important to you, it will happen, and I was very happy to read about your excitement and feelings of inspiration concerning your major and creative writing class. You definitely have talent and more education will only be an asset to you, regardless of how long or short it take to get it! Good luck! You're awesome!

P.S. if you ever need some help with babysitting for Thomas so that you can go to class or study or whatever, please let me know! Just drop a post on our blog, and I'll be happy to help out!

Anonymous said...

darci,
you are so amazing. it's so cool that you are working so hard to finish your degree. good luck! if you're ever on campus during the day let me know. (i still work in the wilk) :)

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I miss going to BYU! I am glad to be done but sometimes I wish that I could go back just so I would have something to go that was scheduled so I would not skip. Lucky you!

Hannah said...

Good for you! I hope it all goes well. I'm impressed with your determination. I know you'll end up with that degree someday!

Karen said...

Good for you Darci! I wish you the best. You can do it! I need to get my butt back in school. I have only 2 math classes to take and then I would have my associates. I haven't been to school in about 7 years. It's a little scary to think about going back. One day I will, I hope! Good luck again. =)

catherine said...

I'm glad you are continuing with your classes. Way to go! Believe it or not, I am so jealous that you are in school. I really miss it. One of these days I'm going to start working on my master's (one class a semester)... I took creative writing at BYU and loved it. If I would have stuck around BYU a little longer I probably would have taken more creative writing classes. Have fun!