Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Passing of Our Prophet


My last several days have been filled with lots of tears after the passing of our beloved Prophet and President of the Church, Gordon B. Hinckley. We got the news immediately Sunday night while watching television with my parents. The program we were watching was interrupted with a "Breaking News" announcement and they reported that President Hinckley had passed way within the last hour. We were all in shock and disbelief for a few minutes, and then the tears came. It is so hard to believe that the prophet I have known and loved since I was 12 is no longer with us. Even though we all knew President Hinckley, at 97, didn't have much longer to live, I never wanted to think about the time that he would actually leave this life. Though he had grown old and tired, it seemed death would never be able to take hold of a man so full of warmth and life. Its hard to accept that we'll no longer be able to hear him speak words of wisdom, to laugh at the witty things he says and does, and feel his love for everyone as he expresses his testimony of the gospel. But despite all of my sadness, I am so grateful for his life and the legacy that he has left behind. President Hinckley was so loved by all and accomplished so much around the world, not only as a religious leader but as an ambassador of goodwill, kindness, and friendship among all peoples of the earth. I have so many great memories of him from my own life. I remember being a senior in high school and briefly shaking his hand as he departed after the dedication of the Temple in Billings, Montana, my hometown. I remember being a freshman in college and listening to his famous admonition to youth to "Be Grateful, Be Smart, Be Clean, Be True, Be Humble, and Be Prayerful." And probably most especially, I remember having the privelege to attend the special birthday celebration held for President Hinckley at the Conference Center for his 95th birthday in the summer of 2005, and what an inspiring occasion it was. Thousands of people had gathered together and were participating by telecast to show their love and appreciation for this amazing man. It was such an uplifting night full of joy, and it all eminated from President Hinckley. I will always remember when it came his turn to speak at the end of the evening, and he said, "What a party! Let's have another in 5 years!" and the whole auditorium burst into applause. I know everyone there felt such affection for him that night, and were all truly hoping he would be there to celebrate with us on his 100th birthday. I convinced myself after that night that he would definitely live to at least 100! But I am grateful that he is at rest now. He lived the fullest, most amazing 97 years of anyone I've ever heard of. I've been watching and listening to so many television and radio programs paying tribute to his life this week, and his was a truly remarkable, accomplished life. He was respected and known around the globe, was astoundingly well-traveled, so intelligent and energetic, and worked incredibly hard, even into his last years. Yet, the world loved him most because he was humble and simple...and funny! No one can deny what a winning sense of humor he had. And no matter what, he was first and foremost a devoted husband and father. He had a wonderful marriage of over six decades to his wife, Marjorie Pay Hinckley, he raised and loved a family of five children, he was a grandfather and great-grandfather. And oh, how he loved his wife, and showed it to the world. I think all people have sensed how deeply he has missed his wife since her passing several years ago. It seemed not one occasion would go by where, when he had the opportunity to speak, that he didn't mention her. It is so comforting, despite the sorrow that comes with the loss of President Hinckley, to know that he is once again with his companion that he loved so dearly. I have imagined so many times the wonderful reunion that must have occurred when he left this life and entered the next one, with so many loved ones waiting for him there: President Hinckley embracing his wife, his parents, his siblings, clasping hands with President Faust, Joseph Smith, Nephi, Moses, and the many prophets and leaders of the church who had gone before him. And of course, I know that Heavenly Father and His Son are there saying, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." I know President Hinckley is happy and that the legacy he has left behind in my life and the life of countless others will never fade. His testimony was pure and strong, even when his body became feeble. I also know the gospel of which he testified is true, and that it brings the greatest joy and peace life can hold. I am so grateful for the life and example of this wonderful man, and I will never, ever forget him.

3 comments:

S&J Jones Family said...

President Hickley reminded me of my Grandpa sooo much. It is sad but I'm sure he is so happy to be with his cute little wife.

I haven't talked to you in forever...how are you doing?

Stacy and Matthew said...

After President Hinckley's wife died all I could think about was what it was going to be like when our beloved prophet passes. Now I know and I am saddened as I loved him as I did my own grandparents. He served us well and our Father well and it was his time to go to serve on the other side. His talks and testimonies will be missed. What a WONDERFUL MAN!

S&J Jones Family said...

I don't think I do have your email address. I'm going to update my blog tonight after I get my pics uploaded so check it out tomorrow.