Sunday, October 19, 2008

Lovely Autumn

Two weekends ago (Sat, Oct. 4th) we took our yearly drive up the Alpine Loop to see the fall colors in the mountains. It was very rainy and cold that day, but we decided to go anyway. Alpine Loop is very special to Ryan and I, since we have many special memories there from the time we were dating and engaged. Ryan proposed to me in a little meadow at the end of a trail off the Alpine Loop, on September 29th, 2001. Since then we've made it a tradition to drive up every Autumn, close to the time when we became engaged. In all those years, we have never made the drive while it was raining. It was beautiful! The aspens were the most vivid color of yellow I've ever seen them! We could see the first snow in the mountains and mist was swirling around the peaks. And the rain made everything smell wonderful! At first I had been disappointed that the weather was so bad for our trip, but we ended up being glad we got to experience Alpine Loop in a new way.

We have several spots and trails off the Alpine Loop that are special to us, but there is one where we go on our drive every year that is easy to get to and has a beautiful view of the valley and the mountains. We made sure to bundle up, and when we got out of the car Thomas had a great time running around and playing in the puddles. It was quite cold, but he didn't want to leave!

I love this tradition we've made for ourselves and I look forward to it every year. Its fun revisiting these special places and thinking of all of our memories there...and making new ones! And I simply love fall. I love the smell and the feeling when I step outside on an autumn day. There's something about this season that is so crisp and clean, refreshing and renewing...simply peaceful!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

What beautiful pictures! I wish Jason and I had kept up traditions like that. We got engaged at Stewart Falls up Provo Canyon and said we would try to hike it every year at the same time, but so far we never have! Maybe next year...

Erika said...

What a sweet tradition! The mountains are so beautiful! :)

Eric and Hayley said...

Darci, you are becoming quite the photographer! That top pic of the leaf w/water on it is awesome:). By the way, I'm so excited to see you guys for Spooky Eve Day!

Hannah said...

I love your description "crisp and clean, refreshing and renewing" I totally agree!