Sunday, May 10, 2009

Baby Days

Its hard to find time to blog lately, or at least finish blogging! The below was written almost a week ago now! I am just finally getting around to adding photos...its hard to choose because I've already taken almost 500!!! (Sometimes I think digital cameras are both a blessing and a curse...)

Monday, May 4th:

I lucked out and managed to get both the boys napping at the same time, so I am hoping my luck holds out long enough for me to write down a few things and add some photos from our past 9 days as a family of four!

Its crazy to think we are a family of four! It is still, even now, a little surreal to me that we have a second child. I am still getting used to saying "the boys" or "the kids." But I am absolutely loving having a sweet little newborn again, even with the lack of sleep and the challenges of having a toddler and a baby. I feel like I'm handling the 2-kid thing okay so far...the biggest challenge I've had so far is probably just finding time to shower! I think I'm handling the lack of sleep better this time around then I did with Thomas...I used to have breakdowns and cry when Thomas was a newborn, because I was so tired. I think the fact that I've always been a natural night-owl (and have become more-so since I started having kids) helps me to deal with the sleep issue (though I can't say I feel *fabulous* with the amount of sleep I get). I think I'm managing to keep the house in relatively decent shape, even though I'm trying to let things that aren't a priority fall by the wayside for now. The dirty laundry pile is growing a bit scary high, especially because I can barely keep up with keeping Jacob's clothes clean!



I am feeling very much like being a hermit at this point...I'm sure I'll get stir-crazy eventually, but for now I have little desire to leave the house, especially with Jacob. I wasn't too paranoid about taking Thomas out when he was born, since it was July and always in the 80's or 90's, but this time I feel a little more cautious...its still cool out and it seems the sick season is still hanging around. My biggest dread is when I will go out by myself with both kids for the first time. I think I'm going to put that off as long as possible! And I think a lot of the time I'll try and take just Jacob and leave Thomas at home with Ryan...because really, Thomas is the one that would probably be the most challenging when I'm out running errands! Caring for a newborn seems so easy now, since I've had a toddler! Its funny how, when you're a first-time mom, even though you're stressed and tired and overwhelmed at times, you have no idea that in many ways, that time as a parent is probably the easiest you will ever have! You only have one child, and for quite awhile he isn't mobile at all, sleeps a ton, and is extremely portable. You only have one child's feeding and sleeping schedule to worry about, you can easily sleep while that one child is sleeping, you only have one child to take along with you when you go out of the house, and you can lavish all your attention on that child without worry or guilt. Why doesn't anyone tell you the first is the easiest?!

My Boys: (I love how Tommy has his arm around Jacob.)


Thankfully, we haven't had any real issues yet of Thomas being jealous of Jacob. He seems to be perfectly happy to have his baby brother at home and he's very interested in him and attached to him. When Thomas first wakes up in the morning or if he doesn't know where Jacob is he will almost always ask "Where's baby brother Jacob?" He always wants to hold him, saying "I want him!" or "What abou' me?". Thomas has never acted out against Jacob in any way or said anything at all that indicates jealousy, and I'm so glad. I feel like I'm trying hard to be aware of Thomas' needs, to pay special attention to him when I can and to maintain most of the aspects of what his life was like before Jacob. For instance, when its hard for me to put Thomas down for nap or bedtime because Jacob is crying or hungry, and when Ryan isn't available to help, I'll bring Jacob in to Tommy's room for storytime, and Thomas gets so excited, asking if Jacob can sleep in his bed. Of course I tell him Jacob can't stay in his bed, but I lay Jacob down safely next to Thomas while I read them both a story, or Tommy will help read the story to Jacob. Its so sweet and I'm so happy that so far Tommy seems to be adjusting incredibly well. The only negative thing Thomas does have more of a tendency of doing lately, though this was pretty common even before Jacob arrived, is getting into things or doing things he knows he's not supposed to. Like I said, that's pretty common behavior for him anyway, and I don't think he does it more lately because he's envious of or mad at Jacob or mad at me or Ryan because of Jacob...I think he simply realizes that he gets away with it more than usual because Mommy is busy feeding or taking care of Jacob a lot of the time and he simply has more opportunity to get away with it!...at least for a few minutes before Ryan or I bust him. =)

The storytime buddies:

Photobucket

*To Be Continued...*

5 comments:

catherine said...

So cute! I love the pictures of Thomas with Jacob. It is making me even more anxious/excited for my baby to get here! You sound like you have been adjusting to 2 kids pretty well. That's great. That is one thing I am super nervous about! I'm glad you posted, I've been checking your blog for more pictures/updates a lot the past week! This satisfied me for now, but I do still want to hear (read) Jacob's birth story when you get around to it! Lots of love to you and your boys! xoxoxox

S&J Jones Family said...

How cute...you guys sure do make cute babies!

Lissy said...

Happy mothers day Darci! I am so happy you are posting pictures on here.. Seth and I have been so bummed that we didn't get to come meet Jacob. We will see him in June though! Jacob is so beautiful- I love his lil' chubby cheeks! The picture of the three boys is my favorite. Love you guys!

Maggie said...

Oh my heck can I relate! I have been REALLY blessed to have Mark at home with his paid paternity leave so I am still MAJORLY in the "when it happens" stage. I haven't done ANYTHING without Mark's assistance for over a week, I'm a little nervous for next week when he goes back to work. You, however, seem to be doing GREAT so I will just emulate you & I know I'll be fine! Love you & those cutie boys of yours!

kathy said...

i love the pictures! that is great that you are doing so well. jacob really is adorable and that is so cute how much thomas loves him. :)