Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Snow Penguins


I have been wanting to take Thomas outside to play in the snow for awhile, and especially this week since it has been so sunny and clear. I had been putting it off because I myself don't have much fun going out to play in the cold (Montana winters ruined me for it), but when I noticed yesterday that some snow was starting to melt, I panicked and decided we better go for it before it was too late! It was pretty warm for a snowy day, and I knew we might not have many of those days left. Even though I don't love it, I want Tommy to have fond memories of playing in the snow during the winters. And its always cute to see him all bundled up, ready to go outside and romp around! My 12-year-old brother, "Uncle Jared" came out to play with us too. Jared is great with kids and Thomas just adores him! They are so cute together.


When we got outside it turned out Thomas couldn't romp that well! The snow drifts here in Spanish Fork, where we're living temporarily, get crazy huge because of the wind coming from the nearby canyon. My parents whole back yard is a drift probably about 4 feet tall at the deepest point, and that's what we were trying to play in. Thomas was so light he didn't really sink much at all, but he felt pretty unsteady walking in the snow and wouldn't go anywhere unless one of us held his hand. We had fun sliding Thomas down the side of a drift that sloped perfectly like a little playground slide. Thomas would laugh when he got to the bottom and try to climp up again.


The other thing I've been wanting to do is make snow penguins! Okay, so where did I get this idea? Well I'm a sucker for any kind of innovative, creative or unusual child product or toy, and when I was Christmas shopping I found this little kit online that came with parts to make "snow penguins." I thought it was so funny and cute I had to have it! So we finally made our two little baby penguins yesterday. Thomas wasn't super interested in helping build them, but when they were finished he went up and started talking to them! It was so cute. They turned out pretty cute too, and were easier and quicker to make than a full-size snowman. If you're interested, I got them at www.onestepahead.com.

Well my little guy will be lucky if his mom takes him out to play in the snow again...I'm about through with it! This has been the coldest, snowiest, yuckiest winter that I've ever experienced in my 7.5 years in Utah. I am soooo ready for Spring and Summer...no coats, short sleeves, flip flops, green trees and long, warm, sunny days!!! Gimme Hawaii!

6 comments:

Erika said...

Those are sooo cute!!! If we lived in a snowy place I'd totally get one of those penguin kits! We visited Utah for a couple of weeks and Lydia had a blast playing in the snow, but I was happy to leave it behind. I hope it clears up soon for you!

Karen said...

How cute are those penquin's!!! Mckenzie probably wouldn't have been interested building them, but she would have loved it after it was built. It looks like Thomas had lot's of fun! I'm totally ready for spring, tired of this snow.... Thanks for your comment on my blog. it really meant a lot!!!

Hannah said...

I love the snow penguins! And I love that he started talking to them like they were little friends. I can see Erica doing the same thing. Those snow drifts sound awesome too! I'm totally with you though about playing in the snow. I know I LOVED it as a kid, but it's hard for me to gear myself up to go out in it with my own kids. I can't wait for a yard when I can just send them out back and watch them from inside :)

The Reynolds said...

I agree that winter should be over. I'll go to Hawaii any time! Just give me the word!

Heather and Trevor said...

Those Snow Penguins are so cute!!! Congrats on the house too! :) We know how it is! Keep us posted!

S&J Jones Family said...

Those snow penguins are sooo cute, if we get more snow, I may have to steal the idea!! Sooo cute!! James talks to things like they are friends too. Aren't boys just so fun?? :)