Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Crippled by the Kangaroo

A week ago yesterday (Sept. 22nd) I met my mom & sister-in-law Jeni at Kangaroo Zoo, where we had decided to take the kids to play. Its one of those fun warehouse-size places full of giant blow-up jumphouses and slides for kids, and I was so excited to take Thomas there and had wanted to for awhile now. I got there a bit later than my Mom & Jeni, and my nieces and nephews were running around having a fabulous time. Thomas was excited watching them, but a little intimidated to actually climb onto everything and play at first. So, I decided to climb up one of the slides and let him see me coming down, while he watched with my mom. I go to climb up this "ladder" and it turned out to be pretty hard! The "rungs" were just little steps that blow up with air along with the slide, and they squish when you step on them, plus we were required to wear socks, so I was slipping as I tried to climb. There were no hand holds to grap, and of course, the steps weren't really made for adult-sized feet anyway. The ladder was at least two or three feet taller than me, and since it was so slick to climb on I was trying to pull myself up the rest of the way with my arms. I realized I wasn't going to make it, so I just let go and slid back down. The fall was a little further than I had expected, and even though the surface below me was soft and bouncy and my fall should have been harmless, I landed, with all my weight, on my left foot. I felt a distinct "crunch" in my foot, and I knew it wasn't good. I pulled myself off the platform and just laid there while my niece went to get my mom.

I've twisted an ankle before, but this hurt more than anything I'd ever done to my foot or ankle, so I was worried. I hobbled over to the sitting area, and that's where I sat for the rest of the time we were there! My foot started swelling like crazy and it continued to hurt really bad, and I was terrified I had broken it. I've never broken a single bone! So I called my doctor's office and he was able to squeeze me in about two hours later. They X-rayed my ankle and thankfully it was only sprained and not broken, but the doctor said I had managed to sprain it pretty badly. He only put me in an ankle brace, thankfully not a boot, but I could not walk on it at all, so I went home with crutches. That was the first time I'd ever needed crutches in my life, and it was not fun! They tired me out so quickly, and I couldn't get anything done while I was on them.

Thankfully after a couple of days I could hobble around without crutches, and now I'm walking around just fine without even the brace. The doctor said it would feel much better after two weeks, but that it would be weak and total recovery would take 4-6 weeks. I have never been injured like this before and I'm not a very patient person when it comes to having health issues of any kind, so I'm pleased that my foot really is doing much better. I was picturing myself unable to go out and do anything that involved much walking for a month or more! I'm glad that I'm able to get around okay already...I went to the grocery store alone with Thomas last night and did just fine (walking slowly and carefully, of course). =) My foot is still quite swollen unless I elevate it, and it has crazy purple bruising everywhere. Ryan said I should post a photo of it on here, but I think I'll spare you all that picture...I'm grossed out enough by my big, fat, purple foot!

Since I was there for about an hour and a half before I went to the doctor, Thomas still got to play while my mom and Jeni watched him, but I was sad I couldn't see him running around and having fun after he got over his nervousness. He was having a great time with his cousins, and I tried hobbling after him a couple times with my camera, but it was too painful. I am so sad not to have pictures! I only managed to get this single photo of him coming down a slide. If only I had waited a little longer than 10 minutes to bust my foot!

3 comments:

robbienmeri said...

Darci, I hope your foot gets better fast. Just a tip, I sprained my ankle when I was in high school and did a session of physical therapy after to get exercises to strengthen it and I never had to wrap my ankle for sports nor have I had any problems since. All of my friends that sprained ankles and didn't let it heal completely before playing sports on it or did not do PT have always had to wrap their ankles. So my recommendation is to either go to PT or at least look up on the internet exercises to strengthen your ankle so it doesn't plague you the rest of your life. Good luck!

Erika said...

Ouch! I hope you are feeling better! That's crazy that you can sprain an ankle at one of those places!

Hannah said...

Ouch! I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm like you and have never really broken a bone, etc, so I'm sure I would feel just as frustrated by the inconvenience!