Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ryan is 30!!!

This is quite late now, but on June 14th my hubby turned the big 3-0!!! It is so surreal to me that so much time has passed since Ryan was the 22-year-old guy that swept me off my feet! Though I still have 3 more years til I turn 30, I already feel very much like Ryan and I are starting that phase of life, the era of "We're in our 30s." Its a strange feeling to me!

Ryan's actual birthday fell on Sunday this year, so we went out on a date together Friday night to celebrate (Saturday all our babysitters were busy). My mom babysat Thomas and Jacob, and it was glorious to have a kid-free evening! (It was the first time we've gotten a babysitter for both kids, and the first time we've had anyone babysit Jacob. Thankfully he did great!) We went out to dinner at Red Lobster, which is a particular birthday gesture to Ryan from me...we almost always go out to seafood on his birthday each year because I am not the biggest seafood fan and its the only time I am willing to go without trying to talk him out of it! We went absolutely all out...we had a snow crab appetizer, and Ryan got a big ole platter that had lobster and several other entrees. Though the only seafood I generally like is Halibut, I tried Tilapia and I did actually like it!

One funny story from dinner were our drinks. We love to get specialty drinks, but of course only non-alcoholic. Our waitress told us that if we ordered a specialty drink without the alcohol, we could get double the size for just 75 cents more (since of course, drinks are cheaper without the alcohol). She kind of talked us into it so we decided to go ahead and do it, and MAN were those things huge! We felt like we were drinking out of a small fish bowl! Ryan had a big ole Bahama Mama and I had a Strawberry Daquiri (mmmmm). On top of that, Ryan also got an IBC root beer in the bottle. So, here we are, with these two giant, alcoholic-appearing specialty drinks and Ryan also has what looks very much like a beer bottle! We kept wondering if people were watching us, because we were pretty giddy and laughing all through dinner, and our big ole drinks probably made it look like we were just partying it up!

After dinner we went and saw "Wolverine," which we both liked pretty well. We love comic-book/super-hero movies! Going to the movies anymore is a huge treat for us...we used to go pretty much once a week before we had kids, and I don't know about Ryan, but I go through serious movie-theater withdrawals, especially because we would commonly go see movies right after they came out. Now we're lucky to find time to watch the movies we get through Netflix!

As for a birthday present, I really wanted to give Ryan something big this year, but he's seriously difficult to get gifts for...he pretty much will get for himself whatever he needs or wants! But he came up with an idea of his own...some time back he came up with the idea of going on a snorkeling trip with his Dad and brothers, because they all really love snorkeling. So Ryan got serious about the idea as his birthday approached, and they all started talking about going and trying to make it happen. They actually worked out the dates between all of them and went on a 5-day trip to Cozumel, Mexico! It was Ryan, his dad, his brothers Nate and Eric, and our brother-in-law Jon. They all had an awesome time, of course! They did lots of snorkeling where they took lots of amazing underwater photos and also toured some of the ruins, and also did lots of eating. Ryan keeps saying how amazing the food they had was, especially because they ate at a lot of places that were more local dives than tourist-y restaurants. It was particularly easy and comfortable for them to navigate in Mexico because 3 of the 5 of them speak Spanish...Ryan served his mission in El Salvador, Nate served in the Dominican Republican, and Ryan's dad served in New York City, Spanish speaking.

I can't say I wasn't (very) jealous that Ryan got to go on this awesome (kid-free) vacation, (I'm not a saint!) but I'm really glad he got to do something momentous for his 30-th birthday...I'm big on celebrating and recognizing birthdays, and especially milestone ones. But now me and all my sisters-in-law that were also left at home are thinking we definitely deserve an all-girls, kid-free vacation!

No comments: