Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sweet Newborn Jacob


On Friday, May 8th I took Jacob to get newborn photos taken while my mom babysat Thomas. Jacob was one day shy of 2 weeks old at the time. I've been waiting impatiently to get the CD with all the photos back, and I finally got it a few days ago! The pictures turned out gorgeous...I am so excited to have these beautiful images of my little newborn Jacob to treasure forever! Sorry for the long procession of photos following...I tried to narrow it down, but there are so many I love, and then on top of that its really hard to decide whether I like the color or B&W version best!












I really thought I wouldn't like the photos with me in them, but I was pleasantly surprised! I'm sure she must have photo-shopped my face like crazy (for which I'm grateful!)...I know my skin doesn't look that good in real life, and I look 5 years younger!


With Thomas, I never got any pictures taken of him when he was a newborn, and I have always and forever regretted it. I think the reason I didn't was because I felt nervous and guilty taking a brand-new little baby out in public and exposing him to everything so soon just to get pictures taken. I actually felt a lot the same this time around too...I wasn't feeling ready to brave the mall and take Jacob to Kiddie Kandids or JCPenney or somewhere like that. But a friend from my ward referred me to an awesome photographer who worked out of her home, Skye Johansen. She lives relatively close to me and has a cool studio in her basement, and she only does maternity, newborn and child photography. I get super stressed about getting professional photos taken, but Skye was so awesome and completely put me at ease. I also really lucked out that I was even able to get a session with her...I had put off planning the pictures and when when I finally realized I better get around to setting something up or it would be too late, I emailed Skye to see if she had any openings or if she could squeeze me in soon somehow. She emailed back and told me someone had just cancelled a session for a couple days later, so I totally lucked out! I had been so worried that the stress of figuring out and setting up pictures would keep me from getting them done at all, and that I would, again, be sad and regretful about it. I'm so glad it worked out and that wasn't the case!

It was so nice to just go to someone's home where it was nice and quiet for these photos. Skye took lots of time with us, over two hours! I could stop and feed Jacob when I needed to, and she was so great and obviously experienced at working with a little tiny newborn...because its the majority of what she does! She was fabulous. If you are interested check out the link to her blog on my "Favorite Sites" list.

P.S. When Ryan and I went to Hawaii with his family in January (which I never finished my blog post for, I feel so bad...I still plan to, it just got really, really long before I was even halfway through, and I have about 500 photos to decide from!) we had professional family pictures taken of Ryan and Thomas and I. I felt a little silly getting family photos taken when I was pregnant and we were going to have a new member of our family in only a few months, but I decided to anyway because we hadn't had any family photos taken for the last two years, and I thought it would be an incredibly cool opportunity to have photos taken in Hawaii! I was also excited to get some maternity shots of me and some photos of Thomas right at 2 1/2. Plus, I won't be getting new family photos of all four of us until the fall, when Jacob is older. (*Sigh* my poor husband. He thinks I'm photo-obsessed. And admittedly, I pretty much am. But aren't most moms?) So, we got to see all the photo proofs quite some time ago and I LOVE them, but I'm such a dork and have never gotten around to paying for the CD so the photographer can send it to me. I'm doing it this week. But she did post one of the photos of Thomas on her blog as a little preview for us, and I positively LOVE it. So I thought I would just throw it in the mix and add it to this post. I have such beautiful boys!



Even though I will be getting around to it ridiculously late, I can't wait to post the rest of our Hawaii family photos when I get the CD!

6 comments:

Alys said...

Those pictures are great. I think my favorite is the one with his arms crossed and chin resting on his arm.

S&J Jones Family said...

Those are absolutely beautiful, Darcy! You sure DO have such beautiful boys :)

Lindz said...

He is such a cute little guy! Those pictures are adorable! Congrats again to you guys!! =)

Rachel said...

Soo cute Darci! I was so excited when I saw them on Skye's blog. I'm glad you love them. Good luck trying to choose which ones to hang on your walls...mine are plastered with them! Hope all is well. Come visit us one of these days!

Hannah said...

Cute cute cute! I love the shot of his back all wrinkled up, and on the scale. So cozy!

Natalie said...

Gorgeous pics, Darci!!!!! You're right. You do have darling boys!