Friday, April 25, 2008

9 Months, 4 Days, 13 Hours and (about) 52 Minutes Later...

...I have finally finished reading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"!!! I am so glad to finally know the ending to this epic tale and that I no longer have to live in fear that someone will accidentally (or purposely!) spoil it for me...its amazing I've gone this long without overhearing how it ends! As a whole the book was great and I was very satisfied with the ending. I can't believe it took me so long to get around to finishing it...I went to the midnight release at Barnes and Noble last July and was so excited to read it I was sure I'd do it in a matter of days! I think I got pretty far into it initially, but then I got distracted, put it down and only read it sporatically over the following weeks and months. This week I finally decided I couldn't stand being in the dark anymore, and I absorbed myself in the book every spare second I got!

After taking a creative writing class this semester (which I truly enjoyed but I am so happy to say is over! No more homework!), I have so much added respect and appreciation for J.K. Rowling and other successful authors. I have a new perspective on everything I read now, trying to look at the story from the writers' perspective. Crafting just a decent short story is hard...Crafting a great story, much less a very long, intricate one that fills 7 best-selling novels, is incredible! Miss Rowling is a wonderfully-talented writer and the depth of her imagination just amazes me. I am sad that there will be no more tales about Harry to read, but happy that I no longer have to worry about him. (Sounds dumb, but weren't we all worried?!)

Now on to my next read! I've really been wanting to start this new book I got for Christmas, but refused to allow myself to do it until I finished Harry Potter. I've heard an awful lot about this little series...something about some guy named Edward.... =)

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh I'm excited! Your life is about to be consumed by reading Twilight... it's one of those books you can't put down.

LOVE Harry Potter!!! I'm a pretty avid fan. I actually went to the opening showing of the first three films at midnight and dressed up for the first one. So fun!

Karen said...

I don't know how you put it off for that long! I would have gone nuts! I read that book in a couple of days. I'm glad we don't have to worry about Harry anymore too. =) I have heard so much about those twilight series. I want to start reading them when I have time.

Gertsch Family said...

I don't know but I have heard that the Twilight series are awesome! My sister-in-law is in love with Edward. I have not read them, but I guess it is the thing to do these days. Let me know how you like the book:)

KyleandAmanda said...

I have actually read all the books in the Twilight series and I loved them! You will have to let me know if you love them too! Have fun!

kathy said...

yay! i loved reading the last harry potter. i'm sad that it's over, but it is good to know how it ended. :) we were at the big release party last summer at barnes & noble, too.

S&J Jones Family said...

Oh, I cannot wait for you to read Twilight!!! I absolutely LOVE it! I'm just starting to enjoy reading. My next adventure is probably going to be Harry Potter, so it's like we are doing a trade :)

Heather and Trevor said...

OMIGSOH! I am such a HP freak! I am so glad you finally finished it! It is one of the best books(series) I have ever read for sure! Me and my sis are reading it again right now for like the 11th time or something! Amazing the more you read it too! So glad for you! Oh and don't worry Twilight is filling my HP void right now. I LOVE it too! I am sure you will! How are you? I feel like it's been forever! :) P.S I totally would have come to the Matinee with you in SP FORK if I knew and if I was still in Springville. We will have to go when I come visit! :)

Bryant and Chelsea said...

Wasn't book seven awesome!!!! I had to reread it to get everything. But I am constantly amazed at that woman's brain. You will love Twilight! I have now read the series twice. Wish I could read it again, but I won't let myself until the 4th and final book comes out. But they're making amovie of Twilight, and I get giddy everytime I see the trailer for it. I'm with hannah. I dressed up for Harry Potter premeiers, and I'm considering dressing up somehow for the Twilight one. It's that good. Happy reading!