Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Bit of a Bust for the First-Time Movie-Goer


I found out several weeks ago that the little movie theater here in Spanish Fork had started having "Mommy Matinees" every Wednesday at 10 am...basically kid-friendly movie showings where it was ok to bring your loud little kids who don't sit still, don't stay quiet, etc. I had read in a parenting magazine awhile back about some theaters starting to do this, and wondered why Utah County, the kid capital of the world, didn't have theaters doing this? So I was ecstatic when I found out someone actually was, and only 5 minutes away from where we're living right now!

I was busy the last couple of Wednesdays, but this morning I got all geared up to take Thomas to his first movie, "Horton Hears a Who." I was so excited just at the concept of going to a movie in a theater...I am such a movie-going nut and have had serious withdrawals since Thomas was born. Ryan and I used to go to the movies at least once a week! Now we're lucky if its once every month or two. So Thomas and I drove over to the theater, and lo and behold...there were NO cars in the parking lot! I wasn't even sure they were open! I almost turned right around to go home, but decided it might not be so bad to have a movie theater all to ourselves. I drove right up to the door and quickly ran inside to check, and there were a couple workers there...I asked them if they were still going to show a movie if only one person showed up. They said they would, so I decided to stay, but I felt kind of dumb being the absolute only person there!


So I went and parked and brought Thomas in. I went all out and bought popcorn, pop and candy...a little spendy, but I wanted to keep Thomas occupied...plus, I just had to get him treats for his first time at a movie theater! We went into the totally empty theater and it felt really weird, though one of the workers did come in and watch for awhile. She turned the lights up a little bit more than usual for us, and Thomas was interested in the movie and the treats for about...oh...20 minutes. Then he ran to the theater door and was begging to go out and play in the hallway! He eventually got distracted again and started running up and down the theater, trying out different seats, coming back for snacks, and watching the movie for a minute here and there. We got pretty far into the movie, and I realized he had done a #2. I took him out to the bathroom to change him, and when I tried to bring him back into the movie, he cried and did not want to stay! So I decided to just pack up and go.


So, it didn't go as well as I had expected and hoped, and I missed the ending, but I am just glad that I didn't have to worry about other people around me being annoyed! And watching Thomas goof around in a theater all to himself was kinda cute. I had originally thought about taking him to "Nim's Island" next week, but now I'm hesitant to take him to a movie again anytime soon...It would probably have been better if there had been other parents and kids there, I'm sure that would have kept Thomas more interested and distracted. If we do decide to go again we'll have to bring friends next time!

4 comments:

Hannah said...

That's so funny! I can't believe you were the only ones there. Maybe convince some friends to come next time, then you'll have some company.

Brooke said...

I'm surprised no one else was there either. You should check out Tahitian Noni Juice online. They show free movies I think on Monday nights for families in their large conference room at headquarters in Orem. There were always lots of people with kids and they sell snacks if you want them. But best of all it was free!

Steph said...

That is too funny! You get an A+ for trying though! I'm sure he'll catch on and enjoy it sooner than later. You're such a cute Mom Darcy!

Karen said...

Good for you for trying! That's weird that noone else was there. Don't give up too soon!