Monday, May 5, 2008

Kindermusik Fun

Thomas and I went to our last Kindermusik class of the semester last Tuesday...I'm so sad its over! We started the class in January, and it has been such a fun experience! If you haven't heard of Kindermusik, its basically a playgroup-type setting where you get together with other parents and kids of similar ages at a qualified Kindermusik instructor's studio or home and have a fun 45 minutes or so of listening to music while dancing, singing along, playing games with actions or with props (like balls, hula hoops, colored scarves, etc.), or playing simple instruments. We were also given several storybooks that went along with the theme of the class and would have storytime some weeks as well. Every class is different depending on what age group your child is in. Thomas' class was for 18 months - 3 years, and he loved being around all the other kids! He really enjoys playing with other children and I want to be better at setting up playdates and opportunities for him to play and interact with other kids.


Helping Clean Up

How many can I hold?

One thing that surprised me while taking the class was how much Thomas just wanted to watch what was going on! At home he loves to dance and move to music, and I was totally expecting him to be that way when we started the class, but I found he was usually more interested in watching and observing the other kids a lot of the time. I guess its not that surprising because he's always been very curious and observant, especially when he's put into a new situation. One thing I really appreciate is that Kindermusik teaches that all children have different learning styles, and that even if your child is not as involved in certain activities in the ways you expect them to be, or in the ways the other kids are, there's nothing wrong with that...they are still learning just as much, just in their own way.


The class we were in this semester had a theme of "Away We Go!" and focused a lot on songs and games involved with planes, trains, and automobiles. Thomas really enjoyed the class and loved going each week! We were given a kit at the beginning of the semester (in the cutest train-shaped box!) with materials including all the music from the class, and we would listen to the songs all during the week. Then every Monday night and Tuesday morning I would get Thomas pumped up by asking him "Are you excited to go to Kindermusik? Do you want to go dance and sing and see the other kids and Miss Julee?" and he would get so excited, it was so cute! We absolutely loved our teacher, Miss Julee...she was so sweet with all the kids and knew everyone's names by the end of the very first class. Although most of the activities are done with the parent and child together, Julee often found chances to interact with each of the kids one-on-one, and Thomas really liked her. For the last class Julee set up a cute little obstacle course for the kids, and then we did some of the usual songs and games and had treats at the end. We were also invited to bring along a guest, so my mom came with us...she had come with us once before too, and has so much fun watching Thomas playing and dancing and running around.


I'm very sad because we probably won't be going back to Julee's studio...its in Provo, and since we are moving to Saratoga Springs within the next week or two (YAY!) I don't really want to have to commute in. When I signed up for the class in January it was right before we sold our Provo house, and when we closed on the sale and moved to my parents' in Spanish Fork I had to start driving into class for the majority of the semester. It was a little hard, and we were always late! I've found a couple of Kindermusik instructors in Lehi and we will probably sign up for a summer class with one of them...its much closer and I definitely want to continue with Kindermusik!


Music is so important to me, and I really want my children to have an appreciation for, knowledge of and love for music. I think these classes are the perfect way to introduce children to learning about music in a fun, no-pressure way. There are classes for children clear up to 7 years old, which I think is a great alternative to starting children playing an instrument when they are really young. I've even thought I might like to qualify to become a Kindermusik instructor someday...I love music so much and think it would be a wonderful opportunity to teach children, while doing something totally flexible where I'd be able to make my own schedule and teach as much or as little as I wanted. If you want to find out more about Kindermusik, click here to go to their website. If you are in the Provo area and want to know more about Julee's studio, her website is http://www.km-ajoyfulnoise.com.

Thomas with Miss Julee
So, it was a fun semester and I look forward to starting a new class! I love doing these kinds of activities with Thomas. I am so excited for all the things we are planning to do this summer! We're going to take a parent-child swim class (which we did last year and loved!) and we'll definitely be taking some trips to the Zoo, to Farm Country and the Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving Point, and as much fun stuff as we can squeeze in! I love my little guy and all the fun he brings into my life...with him I can be the kid I really am at heart! =)

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Sounds like fun. Erica is more of an observer as well when she is in a crowd of kids. She loves watching them!

Karen said...

So cute! It looks like he had fun! I've never heard of kindermusik, i'll have to look into it because my girls love to dance!

Lindz said...

What a fun idea...I've never heard of that!! Looks like he had a blast!! =)

Emily said...

Hey! It's cool that you guys did Kindermusik, too! I've been doing it with Jason for the past few months and he just loves it! It's such a fun thing that we look forward to, and I'm sad that it has to end for the summer. It's nice to know someone else had as much fun with it as we did! Hope all is going well!