Monday, May 12, 2008

Tommy is Twenty-Two!

...Months, that is, as of last Saturday, May 10th. I can't believe it! I know there is no more cliche phrase within the vocabulary of motherhood, but how did my baby grow up so fast? This age freaks me out because it is so close to two! 18, 19, and even 20 months just didn't sound so old! During those ages, when people at the store or out in public would ask me how old Thomas was, I used to say exactly how many months. But now I've just started saying "He'll be two in July." That freaks me out! I am feeling a little frantic that so many months of Thomas' life have slipped through my fingers already, but the one comforting thing is that even though he's quickly moving away from being a baby, I know he will still be "little" for a long time. There will be so many fun phases to experience with him as he turns 2, then 3 and 4 and so on. And, there's always having another baby, right? =)

I started writing an entry about all the things Thomas has been up to for the last while, but it got so incredibly long I thought it would be overwhelming to post here! So, I'm saving that entry elsewhere for my personal journal, and for my blog I thought I'd shorten it into a fun little list. ('Cause I know there are Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles out there who don't mind reading all about Tommy! =)

Tommy:

  • Looks adorable in this photo. It was taken at Christmastime, right before he turned 18 months. He looks so handsome and grown-up!

  • Is talk, talk, talking, all the time. He's such a smartie...He learns new words every day and speaks some short phrases and sentences too. I can tell he is so excited that he is able to communicate with us easier about what he wants and needs, and we're excited too!

  • Is still growing up so big and tall. I love that! His pediatrician always says what a solid, healthy boy he is. That's what a momma wants to hear!

  • Is entering into the "I wanna do it myself!" stage. His phrase for this right now is "Do it!" usually said loudly several times. He also loves trying to fix things, and I love the way he says "Fick sit!"
  • Is great at helping with little chores. He loves to put things in the trash can, "sweeping," (basically just pushing the broom around), helping put laundry in the washer and dryer and taking it out again, and has been great about learning to help put away his toys and things. Just the other day before I put him down for a nap, he looked around at all his toys and blocks and said "Keen-up?" So cute!

  • Is getting all four of his 2-year molars in at once...not fun. We didn't discover this until he started acting unusually tired for a few days, then came down with a fever. One night Ryan went to brush Thomas' teeth and noticed he had one more molar on one side on the bottom than the other. He had been teething awhile and we didn't even realize! Poor kid.

  • Is defiant and naughty sometimes...of course he is, he's almost two! Our main way of disciplining after any naughty behavior is a calm, serious talk, taking away the toy or item in question if we need to, and then he has to give us a kiss. Its pretty cute, because often he'll do something naughty and then immediately he'll go to give us a kiss before we even say something!

  • Loves to play outside! In the driveway, at the park, on the tramp, with the dog, it doesn't matter, he just wants to be out! I always feel bad when its time to take him inside, he throws a fit and I practically have to wrestle him to keep him from squirming out of my arms!

  • Loves anything he can ride on...scooters, cars, bikes. I want to get him a little bike soon, because he's always trying to climb onto the big ones or onto other kids' bikes!

  • Likes putting on our shoes and walking around in them lately...work boots, snow boots, sneakers...he looks like he's got clown shoes on in this photo, with those little legs sticking out! Cutie.

  • Is affectionate and sweet and adorable. I love Thomas with all of my heart and couldn't imagine life without him!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

hey, it's brenda bassett eddington just wanted to tell you how cute your son is! I especially love the christmas picture. come see our blog at eddingtongymnasts

S&J Jones Family said...

Thomas is so cute/handsome! I can't believe he is almost 2 already! Time flies...we hear that saying so much but it always rings true!

Lindz said...

What a cutie he is!! I can't believe our little guys are almost 2!! Time flies so fast! This is such a fun age, but I could definitely live without the tantrums! I keep waiting for that post to see that you guys finally moved in to your new house! =)