Friday, August 22, 2008

Brian Regan and Two Flicks

I have been so spoiled recently...I got to go out for three toddler-free evenings in one week! That is a seriously rare occurrence! It was lovely and fabulous and I think I need to do that more often. =)

Thursday Aug. 14th, Ryan and I went to Thanksgiving Point to see the comedian Brian Regan perform live. He's absolutely hilarious...I've got a couple of his albums but have never seen him in person. He was awesome! My face literally hurt during his show. If you've never heard of him, get ahold of some of his material and listen to it, its great. And I appreciate the fact that he's a very "clean" comedian...he's not vulgar like so many other comedians out there. He just takes true-to-life, everyday topics and makes them uproarously funny! The venue where he performed was the Waterfall Amphitheater at the Thanksgiving Point Gardens, which was a beautiful backdrop. The weather was perfect, and man, was that place packed! The traffic getting to Thanksgiving Point was absolutely crazy, so even though we left early to get there, we barely got inside by 8 pm when the show was supposed to start. It was pretty hard to find seats...its just a grass amphitheater, so everyone just brought blankets or chairs and plopped down wherever there was room. We were worried we wouldn't find a spot when we walked in and saw the crowds, but luckily we managed to find a place in time before the show actually started. Another comedian names Kermet Apio opened for Brian Regan. I had never heard of him before, but he was great! I haven't been able to find an album by him or anything, but he definitely needs to get one!


I couldn't get good photos of Brian once the show started because it was dark, but this was the view from where we sat. Thankfully they had large screens on either side of the stage...we were at the very top of the hill, quite far away, and Brian's facial expressions while he performs are a big part of the hilarity!

Two days later on Saturday, Ryan's sister Sara and her husband Jon came over to babysit so Ryan and I could go see the Dark Knight. We had been so excited to see it because we loved the last Batman movie. I have to be honest though...I liked the Dark Knight, though not as much as I expected to, and not as much as Batman Begins. I think this time it was a little too intense for me. I did think Heath Ledger's performance as the joker was great...he was very convincing and frightening! He was a talented actor, and his untimely death was so tragic. I'm interested to see if he is put in the running for a post-humous Academy Award like so many people have talked about. Regardless of my feelings about the movie, it was still so nice just to go to a movie!

And then I went to a movie again last night! Ryan stayed home with Thomas while I and my mom finally went to see "Mamma Mia." I looooooooooooved this movie, just like I expected to! I was grinning and laughing like an idiot through the whole thing! My mom loved it too. I can't wait to see it again and I'm definitely buying the soundtrack to listen to until then! I have to say, I severely envy every single person involved with the filming of this movie in any way. The location in Greece was gorgeous and all the musical numbers and dancing were so fun and infectious... it would have been fun just to be there and watch the filming! I can't wait to buy the DVD and see all the behind-the-scenes extras. And now I want to go to Greece even more...ever since the last summer Olympics in Greece I have so badly wanted to travel there. We're going someday honey! Anyway, after the movie my Mom and I went to IHOP and then we made a late run to Walmart so she could get "Breaking Dawn" (which I'm borrowing when she's done...I'm only on New Moon). Even though that's all we went for, we just walked around Walmart for awhile, looking at everything and laughing our heads off...I was pretty hyper at that point. It was such a fun night...thanks for going with me Mom, I had a great time!

It was wonderful to have the chance to get out that much...I seriously need to make some arrangements to go out more, toddler-free, on a regular basis. =) Thank you to my Mom, Sara & Jon and Ryan for staying with Thomas! And Tommy, even though its nice to be away from you once in awhile, I sure like coming home to you! =)

5 comments:

kathy said...

How fun! I am seriously jealous that you got to see Brian Regan. Rusty and I went to one of his shows a couple years ago and I've seriously never laughed so hard! (especially without having to worry about four-letter words) And that's good to know about Batman... we're still trying to decide if we should see it.

Karen said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I'm totally jelous, 3 night wow! I've heard a lot about Brian Regan, I would love to hear some of his stuff. With the dark night I want to see it, but I think I might wait until it comes on video. My Mom said about the same thing as you did. Heath ledger was very talented. I want to see Momma mia really bad too!

The Kotters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah said...

Yes, Dark Knight is VERY intense. Although I think I liked it more than others because I saw it with my husband who loved it. Plus, I got to see it on an IMAX screen too...seriously amazing!

S&J Jones Family said...

Okay, I'm jealous...that sounds like a ton of fun!