Monday, October 22, 2007

Guy Time and Girl Time


This weekend Ryan, his brother Eric and his dad headed out into the wild for their much anticipated hunting trip. Ryan grew up in Wyoming and hunting was a big event that he looked forward to every year. Since moving to Utah he hasn't done much hunting, so this year he and Eric, who lives in Salt Lake, decided to make it happen. They had to apply for a hunting license clear back in January! So they have been thinking and talking about and planning this trip for quite awhile.

Since my sister-in-law Hayley and mother-in-law Kathy and I were all going to be without husbands for a weekend, Hayley decided to organize a girls' day. I have two other sisters-in-law, Sara and Fabiana, who live here in Utah County, and my mom-in-law decided to drive in from Wyoming to be with us and see her grandkids. I have such awesome in-laws...they are so much fun and we all act like a bunch of kids when we're together! All of us girls have been talking forever about how we should get together and do some scrapbooking. So on Saturday all the girls came to my house and we spent the day snacking, perusing through photos and reminiscing, watching chick flicks and oh, yeah, doing a bit of scrapbooking. The only one who completed more than one page was Hayley! (Wish I had some photos of us, but Ryan stole the camera for his trip!)

I have to admit, this was my first time really sitting down and trying to scrapbook. I don't own hardly any scrapbooking stuff, so I had to borrow from the other girls' extensive collections. My first attempt turned out pretty cute, and I feel really excited now about buying some idea books, some supplies and working to get better at it. Scrapbooking is something I've wanted to get into for a long time, especially since Thomas was born...I have so many adorable photos of him I want to showcase! Plus I've seen several of my friends' scrapbooks and I am just in awe of their creativity. I don't think I knew for a long time how much you can do when you scrapbook...the options are endless! So I think I'm going to hit Archivers here soon and go on a little scrapbooking shopping spree. Woohoo!=) I also want to look into digital scrapbooking.

As for the boys, their hunting trip was almost thwarted. They left Friday night and had planned to stay through Monday, but then ended up coming home Saturday night because a blizzard started where they were camping/hunting. All of us girls had decided to make a visit to the craft store and then went to pick up some pizzas, and when we got back Ryan's truck was in the driveway with a foot of snow covering all their stuff! So we all had pizza and hung out. Ryan's mom & dad left Sunday, but Ryan and Eric checked the weather online and decided to drive back out Sunday night to hunt again Monday (today). I am eagerly awaiting Ryan's return and curious to know if they managed to get anything. Either way, I'm sure they're enjoying themselves. I think its so good for guys to get together and do "manly stuff" once in awhile...they come home refreshed and with a renewed appreciation for the women in their lives!

And it never hurts to have a chance to get together with the girls, too. =) I had a great time...I think I need girl time more often!

4 comments:

KyleandAmanda said...

Guys time is important. It sounds like you had fun with your family. I just started scrapbooking too. It is actually a lot of fun. My friend teaches me. You are lucky that you have family that can teach you.

Heather and Trevor said...

Girl time is so needed! I grew up with all sisters and miss that time so much! At least I have Emma all day!! What are you doing for Halloween!?

Hannah said...

girls time is the best! I miss being near my sisters and sisters-in-law.

Good luck with scrapbooking! It is very fun and a great hobby (if you have time). My suggestion, start with the present because if you try to start from the past, you'll never get caught up! Then, you can always go backwards later :)

S&J Jones Family said...

I think girl time is a must. I have been going to knitting group every wednesday and it's fun to just sit and gab while we knit. I don't really scrapbook either...well, I do digital scrapbooking. I love it. With my photography and having about 20,000 pictures just on my computer...it goes so much faster. Plus it is nice that I don't have to worry about scissors, glue sticks, etc for the kids to get into.