Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Due Date Update

I can't believe its my due date and our baby boy is still not here! I'm incredibly surprised because I truly expected to be at least somewhat early again this time. Now it looks like he's going to be late...nothing is really happening with me today so I highly doubt he will arrive before midnight tonight (though nothing is impossible!). At my doctor's appointment on Monday I had only slightly progressed from the previous week (from 2 cm to not quite 3 cm, from 60% effaced to about 70%, and -2 station to -1). My doctor doesn't want me to go more than a week past my due date, so we made another followup appointment for this coming Monday and if the baby hasn't arrived by then, he will schedule me to be induced Wednesday, April 29th, exactly one week after my due date. I really doubt I will make it that far though, and I'm hoping I don't...I would like to be done being pregnant sooner than that of course, and I would prefer to go into labor on my own over being induced. But, I am completely fine with being induced if he's a week over...I definitely don't want to go over more than that. I think I would just be a glutton for punishment at that point! Plus the doctor said that babies can actually have problems if you let them go much past 41 weeks. So, at least I have a timeline I can count on...this baby will be here sometime between now and next Wednesday!

I have these driving-me-crazy, intense feelings of anticipation I didn't have when I was pregnant with Thomas. With Thomas, I was expecting to be a little early, but when I went into labor 13 days early, it was so early that I was caught off guard, and I hadn't really worked up the feelings of high anticipation yet. This time I'm going nuts with anticipation! Its like I know someone is giving me a huge surprise and it could be sprung on me anytime...in the middle of the night, anytime at all...but I have no ideas or indicators of when! I'm still having mini-contractions here and there that can be a little painful or uncomfortable, but nothing is ever consistent enough that I feel something is really happening. I walk around all day every day thinking my water is just going to break, and then I'm going to have to high-tail it to the hospital!

So, a week left at most! I think its so crazy my first baby was so early and now my second is going to be late. I'll have no idea what to expect with #3 someday!

5 comments:

Eric and Hayley said...

Thanks for the update! I've been waiting for an e-mail, txt, phone call or something...and now I know what's going on.

kathy said...

I kept checking your blog, too, to see if your little boy had come yet. Good luck with the waiting game. I can't wait to see pictures of your new baby when he does decide to make an appearance. :)

catherine said...

I have been wondering, too. Thanks for updating! I didn't want to ask because I know how disheartening it gets at the end when people keep asking if you've had the baby! The waiting is sooo hard. I was crazy with anticipation with Sam (I was induced at 41 weeks with him), and this time it seems worse, and I'm still 2 weeks from my due date! Good luck over this next week!

Maggie said...

I feel your anticipation! I am keeping everyone on high alert just in case! I am also going to be induced next week. I've decided to do an elective induction a week early so Monday or Tuesday is my "deadline". I am SOOO grateful, I keep thinking I can relax but no, still crazy with excitement! Good luck Darci! I'm thinking of you!

Natalie said...

Best of luck, Darci! Enjoy the anticipation before the sleepless nights come. You are such a good mom. I can't wait to hear your story and especially see pictures! I miss you!